page fault while in kernel mode

Owen Smith og.smith at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 04:11:35 PDT 2005

Hi
Whilst running 5.3-RELEASE-p22 on a GENERIC+ SMP options kernel we have had
this:

cpuid = 1; apic id = 00
fault virtual address   = 0x42d38cf0
fault code              = supervisor write, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc062f242
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xeb4649bc
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xeb4649c4
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 1015 (screen)
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault
cpuid = 1
boot() called on cpu#1
Uptime: 12d18h29m43s
Cannot dump. No dump device defined.
iir0: Flushing all Host Drives. Please wait ...  kernel trap 12 with
interrupts disabled

cpuid = 0; apic id = 01
fault virtual address   = 0x24
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc062c613
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xe4dffc30
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xe4dffc44
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 37 (swi5: clock sio)
trap number             = 12
spin lock sched lock held by 0xc22b94b0 for > 5 seconds
panic: spin lock held too long
cpuid = 1
spin lock sched lock held by 0xc22b94b0 for > 5 seconds
panic: spin lock held too long
cpuid = 1

# nm -n   /boot/kernel/kernel | grep c062f
c062f098 T openbsd_poll
c062f0a8 T clear_selinfo_list
c062f0d4 T selrecord
c062f178 T selwakeup
c062f188 T selwakeuppri
c062f198 t doselwakeup
c062f320 t selectinit
c062f348 t pipeinit
c062f37c t pipe_zone_ctor
c062f454 t pipe_zone_dtor
c062f468 t pipe_zone_init
c062f48c t pipe_zone_fini
c062f4a0 T pipe
c062f794 t pipespace_new
c062f8d0 t pipespace
c062f8e0 t pipe_create
c062f94c t pipe_read
c062ff34 t pipe_build_write_buffer

It is the 2nd time in a month the server has crashed the first time it
rebooted on its own
so I didn't get the error, but this time I had to power cycle it.

The server is a Dual 800MHz intel box with 1.5GB RAM and 4*36GB RAID SCSI disks,
It generally is not under much load.

Whats the best thing todo? debugging kernel etc or just upgrade to 5.4?

Thanks
Ogg