Crash When "make index" - Repair Needed?

Richard Collyer richard at firebadger.net
Sun Oct 23 10:47:37 PDT 2005

Hello,

My box (5.4 Stable) has taken to crashing when I do a make index (in
/usr/ports) after a cvsup ports upgrade. I think the problem may be down
to overheating as it only does this when the server is put under
considerable stress (I take it that make index is stressful on the PC)
and has done it before when I was doing some data manipulation which
stressed it for an hour or so. After that I added some cooling which
solved the problem...until now.

My question is do I need to repair the index if the box crashes while
making it? If so how do I do it. I read on google that 5.x doesnt need
to make index in the same way as 4.x did so I am safe by not running the
command?

Cheers
Richard