I compiled mykernel seeking for sound support

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Sun Oct 23 10:03:02 PDT 2005

Teilhard Knight wrote:
> Hello:
>
> This is a second post in which I seek for advice about sound. I tried to
> solve my problem with the kernel after install, by using "kldload
> snd_driver". The result was that I had sound only in the right channel, and
> there was no output from audio CD's.
>
> I now compiled my own kernel with sound support and I have no sound
> regardless. The two lines I added to have sound in the configuration file
> are:
>
> device sound
> device snd_ich
>
> snd_ich is the driver loaded by snd_driver. Did I make anything wrong?
> Surely I did, and any help you can give me will be highly appreciated. I
> know my card, speakers and CD wiring are OK, as this machine has several
> OS's and everything works perfectly in them.
>
> Teilhard

I would go back to the kldload options.
With sound_load="YES" and snd_ich_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf and
you were only able to get half the sound - ensure you are using the
proper driver.

When in doubt, load em all:
sound_load="YES"
snd_driver_load="YES"

This will ensure that you get them all and perhaps it will work after
the fact. Then, play around untill you get the right driver.

You can find them listed in /boot/defaults/loader.conf near the bottom
of the file.

HTH

--
Best regards,
Chris

Blessed are those who go around in circles,
for they shall be known as wheels.