How do I name my network interface?

Erik Trulsson erikt at update.uu.se
Sun Oct 23 09:41:01 PDT 2005

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 06:30:35PM +0200, Andreas Davour wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have realized that my new motherboard has a built-in network
> interface, and I'd like to use it as well as the PCI based one I have.
>
> But, what do I call it when I plumb it with "ifconfig"?

That would depend on what chipset, etc. the built-in interface uses.

> The PCI card I have is identified during boot as rl0, and the built-in
> as "rlphy0: <RealTek internal media interface> on miibus0".

rlphy0 is just part of the rl0 interface, and not a separate interface by
itself.  Reading the miibus(4) manpage might be useful.

> Using "ifconfig rlphy0 plumb" does not work. It says:
> ifconfig: SIOCIFCREATE: Invalid argument
>
> and that's it.
>
> So, what do I call it? I tried rl1 as well, no cookie.
>
> /andreas

If it does not show up in the dmesg(8) output it might not be supported, or
the correct driver might not be included in the kernel.

What does 'pciconf -lv' say?

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson