qemu

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sun Oct 23 05:53:13 PDT 2005

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 02:28:50PM +0200, dick hoogendijk wrote:
> I discouvered QEMU today and I think it is an amazing program.

Indeed. Very usefull to check out other OS on your FreeBSD box.

> Just to be sure and on the safe site:
>
> Will the command "qemu -hda win98se.img -boot d -user-net" do as I
> think it will do: .. boot from my cdrom device so I can install windows
> from it to the win98se.img file?

You'll have to add '-cdrom /dev/cd0' (substitute your CD-ROM drive for
cd0). Alternatively, you can use an ISO image as CD-ROM.

<snip>
> On oszoo.org they say you can even create a compressed clone of the
> image file by giving this cmd: "qemu-img convert -f qcow -c win98se.img
> -O qcow image_compressed.img" but this does not work form me. The msg
> is that compression is not supproted for this format. Is this right? Or
> do I do something wrong?

I get the same. According to the qemu-img manual page, this command
should be formatted as

       convert [-c] [-e] [-f fmt] filename [-O output_fmt] output_filename

but that doesn't work either; it just produces a help message.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.
public key: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/pubkey.txt