ntpd problems

Eric Schuele e.schuele at computer.org
Sat Oct 22 21:01:35 PDT 2005

Eric Schuele wrote:
> Shelby Westman wrote:
>
>> Hello, all,
>>
>> I am a relatively new freeBSD user. The problem I describe below
>> happens on
>> both a 5.4 install and a 6.0 RC1 install.
>>
>> Right after installing the OS, I enable ntpd in rc.conf, and setup a
>> simple
>

> Are you intending on running an NTP daemon?  Or are you just trying to
> sync your clock with an NTP source?  If the later, try adding the
> following to your rc.conf:
>
> ntpdate_enable="YES"
> ntpdate_flags="<your_fav_ntp_server_here>"

FWIW... after checking the man pages, I think ntpdate is being
deprecated some time in the near future.

ntpd should be used.  So here is what I now have in my rc.conf:

ntpd_enable="YES"
ntpd_flags="-q"

/etc/ntp.conf contains exactly one line:

server north-america.pool.ntp.org

Works fine.

Also... another thought.  You might try disabling IPv6 unless you need
it. (remove 'options INET6' from kernconf)

> HTH.
>
>> config file in /etc/ntp.conf. When I reboot, I get this message:
>>
>> Oct 22 10:40:57 alter ntpd[392]: ntpd 4.2.0-a Sun Oct 9 18:33:33 UTC 2005
>> (1)
>> Oct 22 10:40:57 alter ntpd[392]: bind() fd 6, family 28, port 123, addr
>> fe80:1::202:55ff:fe58:2957, in6_is_addr_multicast=0 flags=0 fails: Can't
>> assign requested address
>>
>> Then ntpd does not synchronize the time. I set the clock manually (using
>> date) five minutes ahead to check and in fact it does not get adjusted.
>>
>> I have tried all sorts of things. I tried assigning numeric addresses
>> rather
>> than host names in the config file. I tried enabling ipv6 in sysinstall.
>> This machine does have a good route to the internet - I can use
>> nslookup to
>> resolve host names, so I know the networking is working.
>>
>> Below I have quoted the ntp.conf. The log file is empty - nothing is
>> being
>> written there.
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas? I am stumped... thanks for your help.
>>
>> Shelby
>>
>> __________________
>>
>> config file as it stands now...
>>
>> logfile /var/log/ntpd.log