Editor for C & C++ language

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Sat Oct 22 17:36:11 PDT 2005

On 2005-10-22 22:07, vittorio <vdemart1 at tin.it> wrote:
> Working usually under kde I'm looking for something similar to the
> llc-win32 program under ms-windows - that is a development environment
> where you can edit your c++ program, compile it, debug it step by
> step, and finally run it in a suitable window.

> I tried the nice editor kate which allows to compile the file only. No
> debugging, no running.

> Is  there anything of the kind of llc-win32?

I'm using Emacs as my IDE for years now.  It's not exactly what someone
who is used to windowing environments would call a "GUI IDE", but it can
do the following:

    - Edit the source code (with syntax highlighting if need be)

    - Compile (with the hit of a single key, once configured)

    - Parse compiler output and move to the file/line of an error,
      then to the next error, etc.

    - Interactively debug C, C++, Perl, Python, or LISP programs,
      line by line -- working as a "control program" for GNU gdb

and that's only a minor subset of the features it has.