cvsup, mirrors and data integrity

Andrew P. infofarmer at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 13:19:10 PDT 2005

On 10/22/05, Dimitar Vasilev <dimitar.vassilev at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I guess I'll have to escalate the importance of this
> > machine being shutdown correctly and stop all
> > cvsup processes before doing something risky.
>
> Yup - try putting the CVSUP under DJB daemontools or something like this.
>
> > If that doesn't help, I'll make a separate partition
> > for the repo with soft-updates turned off. With
> > 95% of reading against 5% of writing, I'm sure
> > there won't be a measurable performance impact.
>
> Are you on SCSI or IDE/SATA?
>  Regards
>
> --
> Димитър Василев
> Dimitar Vassilev
>
> GnuPG key ID: 0x4B8DB525
> Keyserver: pgp.mit.edu
> Key fingerprint: D88A 3B92 DED5 917E 341E D62F 8C51 5FC4 4B8D B525

I don't like the style of djb, sorry.

The box has 1 ide and 4 scsi disks. But I had to
remove scsi cables and can't find a replacement
at the moment, so it's on ide for now.

Squid is also on the server. So I guess, when
scsi disks are back online, I'll dedicate 2 to
squid, and 2 in a vinum mirroring array with
softupdates disabled for more important
things, like cvs repos, distfiles, etc.