SNMP in FreeBSD server

Frank Staals frankstaals at gmx.net
Sat Oct 22 08:08:50 PDT 2005

Edwin D. Vinas wrote:

>Hi,
> I'm running a FreeBSD server on a DSL and I wan't to monitor the link
>utilization of it using MRTG and NET-SNMP. I installed net-snmp using ports
>but when I tried running snmpd and querying simple snmpwalk and cfgmaker, I
>got an error as shown below. I also tried installing net-snmp from source
>from sourceforge but still snmp is not responding. Please help me on this.
> Thanks in advance.
>-Edwin
>  NOTE:
>-------------
>My snmpd.conf is in /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf
>I am running snmpd as plain 'snmpd'. I also tried 'snmpd -c snmpd.conf' but
>no effect.
>-------------
> ERROR IN CFGMAKER:
>
>--base: Get Device Info on public at 192.168.1.1:
>SNMP Error:
>no response received
>SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "192.168.1.1 <http://192.168.1.1>"
>[192.168.1.1<http://192.168.1.1>
>].161)
>community: "public"
>request ID: -1724402833
>PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
>timeout: 2s
>retries: 5
>backoff: 1)
>at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/SNMP_util.pm line 627
>SNMPWALK Problem for 1.3.6.1.2.1.1 on public at 192.168.1.1::::::v4only
>at /usr/local/bin/cfgmaker line 858
>WARNING: Skipping public at 192.168.1.1: as no info could be retrieved
>
># Created by
># /usr/local/bin/cfgmaker public at 192.168.1.1
>

>--
>--
>Edwin D. Viñas
>http://www.geocities.com/edwin_vinas/
>IN THE WORLD OF SCIENCE,
>NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE.
>--

I'm running mrtg myself, and I remember having some problem with snmpd
when I installed it. you should have a config file in /usr/local/etc/
named snmpd.conf and it should look something like this:
http://fstaals.net/junk/snmpd.conf . I can't remember anymore if I had
to change anything else, but I think that should be it.

Good Luck

--
-Frank Staals