Suggestions for server hardware sub 800 dollars

Matt Crossley moose at freebsdfreaks.net
Fri Oct 21 14:19:29 PDT 2005

Ben Siemon wrote:

>I need to make a server box that will serve web pages ( light ), do
>light file storage for my home network and allow me ssh access when I
>am away from the apartment. I have read a great deal about this on the
>site and looked at the manufactures sites. I see a great deal of
>potential there but I have more fun building it up myself. I would be
>glad for any suggestions any of you have.
>--
>cheers
>
>Ben Siemon
>
>254 723 6937
>
>cs.baylor.edu/~siemon

I've found that if it's not really all that heavy a load, machines at
Dell that regularly come up are worth it.
The latest one that I saw in a Dell flyer (in Canada), was a Celeron
2.9, 512MB, 80 or 60GB, etc, etc for $349 CAD.
Can beat it, in many ways!

If you want to build it yourself, then maybe you can build yourself a
little mini-ATX machine, one that's small and out of the way?

Cheers,
Matt