Problem with groups

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Oct 21 13:23:41 PDT 2005

On Oct 21, 2005, at 4:12 PM, RW wrote:
> From a KDE Root console, I changed a directory's permissions to 770
> and added
> my account to it's  group with pw. In another console, under my own
> account,
> I tried to cd into the directory and failed, no gui application
> could access
> the directory either. pw showed I was a member of the group.  I
> logged in
> though a virtual terminal, under the same account, and was able to
> cd to the
> directory. And once I restarted the KDE session from KDM, the
> problem went
> away.
>
> Is this normal behaviour? Is there any way around it?

This is more-or-less normal behavior.  When you change authentication
information like adding yourself to a group, the existing processes
you were running do not gain new privileges, but any new processes
you start up should.

You could have re-execed your shell, or restarted KDE as you did.

--
-Chuck