Problem with groups

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Fri Oct 21 13:12:35 PDT 2005

From a KDE Root console, I changed a directory's permissions to 770 and added
my account to it's  group with pw. In another console, under my own account,
I tried to cd into the directory and failed, no gui application could access
the directory either. pw showed I was a member of the group.  I logged in
though a virtual terminal, under the same account, and was able to cd to the
directory. And once I restarted the KDE session from KDM, the problem went
away.

Is this normal behaviour? Is there any way around it?

I'm running   5.4-RELEASE-p8 if it make a difference.