FreeBSD UFS2 snapshots, and math ... - resolved, but two more Qs

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Oct 21 09:08:31 PDT 2005

user <user at dhp.com> writes:

> On 21 Oct 2005, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
> > The snapshot doesn't know what the bits in the file are.  All it knows
> > is that the file's data used to be, say in "block 1857" and now the
> > file's data are in "block 1956".  The fact that both blocks are
> > identical is not detected.
> >
> > If you're really interested in this, I suggest reading a decent
> > operating systems book.  It's a lot easier to understand the specific
> > implementation when you have a good grip on the standard terminology
> > and principles.
>

> Thanks very much for your help.  I am going to read a book or two - my
> plan was to start with "the design adn implementation of the 4.4BSD OS",
> but I wanted to update it with more modern information - like snapshots,
> etc., which I will do with those URLs we have already posted RE: the
> snapshot work.
>
> If you have any others, let me know.

Yes.  Start with something more basic, because McKusick's books assume
that you are already acquainted with the standard terminology.
Tanenbaum's are the usual recommendations.  And when you do get to
McKusick, you'll do a lot better with the new "Design and
Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System," which covers a lot of
these recent improvements.