UNIX System Certification Programs

Erik Norgaard norgaard at math.ku.dk
Fri Oct 21 08:08:21 PDT 2005

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, Martin McCormick wrote:

> 	As part of the formalization process for our carreer paths,
> our organization is wanting us to be certified in our areas of expertise as part
> of any on-going carreer path.  Since I do all my work in Linux and
> FreeBSD, what sorts of programs are there that would be similar to the
> Microsoft certifications which are extremely common in the Windows world?

For linux you will probably find distribution specific
certification programs such as Red Hat Certisfied Whatever. For
BSD there are currently two initatives under way,

   bsdcertification.org and bsdcertification.com

> 	Please tell me any thoughts you might have.  Stating that I've
> been messing around with UNIX systems for about 14 years probably
> won't get me very far.:-)

Don't underestimate the value of experience! It is well known that
there is a vast number of paper certificates, proveable experience
is worth more than some unknown certificate.

When companies like certificates it's because they can tell their
clients that their employees are certisfied to do the job. But
for inhouse tasks experience is worth far more.

Cheers, Erik