Procedures

Ronny Machado C. ronny.machado at cajalosandes.cl
Fri Oct 21 07:46:43 PDT 2005

Thanks Erik...very helpful advices...

ronny

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Erik Norgaard [mailto:norgaard at math.ku.dk]
Enviado el: Viernes, 21 de Octubre de 2005 10:23
Para: Ronny Machado C.
CC: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Asunto: Re: Procedures

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, Ronny Machado C. wrote:

> *	How can I get some daemons working at boot time? In Linux you can do it via rc.* directories and S* scripts, but in freeBSD I don't know how, I've put scripts in rc.d but they don't execute at boot time, Is there a way to do it via rc.conf?

Two options: The easy one is to put your script in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d, if it's executable and ends in .sh it will be
run at startup.

Alternatively try to create your script so it uses /etc/rc.subr -
see the other startup scripts for samples - and enable it in
/etc/rc.conf

> *	When I do a "ps -fe | grep some-process" I don't get any answer, so I can't realise if a process is running, I've got to do a top to get to it

I use 'ps -ax'

> *	My sound card is a Sound Blaster Live!, I've tried to load
> it by means of kldload emu10k1, it worked but I can't get it to
> work. Honestly I haven't configured MYKERNEL since I still don't
> understand the process.

No need to build a kernel, just load the right modules. I don't
know which is right for your card, but you can try them one by
one. They are all named snd_

> *	How can I list the modules in the kernel?

kldstat

> *	I'd like to know if the following messages are due to some
> failure or  they are normal, and if the noip problem is produced
> by the ppp warnings
> 			Oct 18 12:22:13 nostromo noip2[707]: Can't gethostbyname for dynupdate.no-ip.com
> 			Oct 18 12:22:13 nostromo noip2[707]: Can't get our visible IP address from dynupdate.no-ip.com
> 			Oct 18 12:23:01 nostromo ppp[217]: tun0: Warning: deflink: Reducing configured MRU from 1500 to 1492
> 			Oct 18 12:25:06 nostromo ppp[217]: tun0: Warning: deflink: Reducing configured MRU from 1500 to 1492
> 			Oct 18 12:27:11 nostromo ppp[217]: tun0: Warning: deflink: Reducing configured MRU from 1500 to 1492

Dunno, I suspect that you can't do name lookups or that no-ip has
not registered your host. Maybe it expired becuase your script
that updates no-ip didn't run too long?

Cheers, Erik