information of how to use scsi tape drives...?

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Fri Oct 21 07:00:19 PDT 2005

>   Hi i want to know is someone of you knows about some links where i
> can find some how-to use tapes drivers(scsi), thanks people.
>
>   I try the man page, but get how to play with my tape...

What sort of 'playing' do you want to do?
If you just want to write to it and read from it, and do some
positioning like rewind and fast forward, then the mt(1) man page
should tell you what you need to know.

Besides that, you just use any command such as cp, cat, dump, restore,
tar, etc and specify the file as /dev/nsa0 (for the "no rewind" device
that leaves the tape at the position after every operation) or /dev/sa0
(for the rewind device - that rewinds after every operation)

In dd, tar and dump (especially dd) you may want to specify a block size
if you want to match some other utility's normal block size or maybe
if you want more efficient (fast) transfer of very large files.

////jerry