Epson Stylus C65

Mike Jeays Mike.Jeays at rogers.com
Thu Oct 20 19:39:04 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 20:36, Alejandro Pulver wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 22:14:59 -0400
> Mike Jeays <Mike.Jeays at rogers.com> wrote:
>
> > I had a good bit of trouble with the very similar C86.  Google for the
> > DeviceModel parameter values if these don't work with a C65. You need
> > to install ijsgimpprint, of course. At present, my etc/printcap file
> > says:
> >
> > lp|C86:\
> >   :lp=/dev/unlpt0:\
> >   :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
> >   :if=/home/mike/bin/C86-filter:\
> >   :sd=/var/spool/lpd:\
> >   :mx#0\
> >   :sh:
> >
> > and my home-grown filter contains:
> > #!/bin/sh
> >
> > TMP=/tmp/C86.tmp
> > PS=/tmp/C86.ps
> >
> > cat >$TMP
> > ch1=`head -1 $TMP | cut -c 1`
> > if [ "$ch1" = '%' ]
> > then
> >  # echo "Postscript"
> >  cat $TMP >$PS
> > else
> >   # echo "Text"
> >   /usr/local/bin/enscript -B -q -p - $TMP >$PS
> > fi
> >
> > # InkType=CMYK, RGB are valid
> > cat $PS | /usr/local/bin/gs -sDEVICE=ijs \
> >    -sIjsServer=/usr/local/bin/ijsgimpprint \
> >    -sDeviceManufacturer=EPSON  \
> >    -sDeviceModel=escp2-c84 \
> >    -sIjsParams=Quality=720x360sw,InkType=CMYK,MediaType=Plain \
> >    -dIjsUseOutputFD \
> >    -q \
> >    -dNOPAUSE \
> >    -dBATCH \
> >    -sOutputFile=- -
> >
> > # MUST delete them, or subsequent jobs may have trouble
> > rm -f $TMP,$PS
> >

> > This is not what you would call polished software - the minute I got
> > it to work, I stopped fiddling with it.  It does at least do the job.
> >

> Hello,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> I tried your filter (most times by doing it manually), but I can't get
> it working. I tried "ijs" and "stp" (Gimp-print), and many Cxx printer
> versions.
>
> BTW the script you are using is very similar (if not equal) to the
> command "apsfilter" calls (that is "gs") at the end.
>
> I only get some "<<?<??<??" like characters (left aligned), was that
> your problem?
>
> Also it isn't a connection problem: I tried both USB and Parallel
> connections.
>
> Do you know about anything else I can do?
>
> Best Regards,
> Ale

I am not sure what else to suggest.  I didn't get a series of characters
like "<<?<??<??" at any point.

Does the command "escputil -i -u -r /dev/unlpt0" give you the ink
levels?  (This command often times out the first time you use it; try
two or three times before giving up).

Have you been able to test it under Windows? I always hate myself for
doing this, but it does provide a check on the hardware.