Java + Linux

Charles Smyth charlessmyth at utvinternet.com
Thu Oct 20 15:29:24 PDT 2005

Hi there,

When I have downloaded the patches and parts from sun.com into the distfiles
directory and run ‘make  install’ in /usr/ports/java/jdk14 for FreeBSD 5.4/6.0
all goes okay apart from a prompt about also running make install again, with
the Linux parts. Not doing this seems to work okay, as far as I can see. Do
I need the Linux parts at all, since doing as the prompt asks, doesn’t seem
to make any difference to what Java is doing.

I used to run the Linux compatibility with FreeBSD 5.2.x without any hassle
and the Acrobat Reader would work fine, for example. In 5.4 and 6.0 this doesn
t work any more. Is there some reason for this.? Anything to do with 64 bit
and 32 bit issues?

sincerely

Charles Smyth