Having Some Trouble with Java on FreeBSD

Franklin E. Powers, Jr. dominarvis at dominarvis.com
Thu Oct 20 13:06:32 PDT 2005

I've been having a small amount of trouble with running Java on
FreeBSD (version 5.4 for amd64) and I was hoping that someone would
be kind enough to help me out.

I manually installed the linux version of Java.  Which seemed to work
alright and then I was trying to build the native version using Sun's
sources and the patch.  And that seemed to go well, except for one
small problem, which was that the hotspot compiler seemed to have
trouble finding its stack frame and it outputted a warning to
standard output, which ended up in some of the files that were
produced during the build process.  Anyway...  I took care of that,
but then it appears that near the end of the build process, Java
suffered an internal error of some kind.

So I tinkered with that a bit and I discovered that the almost
complete native build for FreeBSD could run.  So I decided to try to
finish the build process, by getting it to build itself.  But it
suffered a slightly different error.

So...  Then I went through the documentation for FreeBSD some more
and decided to start over by reinstalling the Linux Java using:
	cd /usr/ports/java/linux-sun-jdk15
	make install clean

But now I get the following error: linux-sun-jdk-1.5.0.01,2 does not
run (core dumps: Bad System Call).  Note that previously I manually
installed it by simply downloading the Linux version on another
computer, transfering it over to the computer, and executing the file.

BTW...  The computer is not connected to the internet.  And in case
it makes any difference, its a 64-bit dual processor Xeon.

The problem should probably be obvious to me.  But its not and as a
result, I would be grateful for assistance.

Thanks in advance,
Franklin E. Powers, Jr.