Imap-uw and openssl certificate

Sean Murphy smurphy at calarts.edu
Thu Oct 20 09:06:40 PDT 2005

Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
> On 19 Oct Frank Staals wrote:
>
>>>Don't be so certain about that.  "fstaals.net" *is* a valid hostname,
>>>and its IP-address can easily be found via DNS, and it can be
>>>connected to.
>>>

>>The MX-configuration of my domain is pointing to fstaals.net , to add
>>an subdomain for my small mailserver seemed a bit exagerated, so that
>>isn't the problem. I can add a subdomain, but I don't see why that
>>should help since the certificate clearly says 'localhost'.
>

> I ran this imap server for a short time but never had problems making
> and using a ssl cert. My server's called nagual.st. Are you sure the
> server indentifies as localhost even if contacted from the *outside* ?
> It does of course when you contact it from the local nic.
>
> As suggested using another imap server is also my idea.
> I don't use dovecot, but the whole courier mail package.
> It works like a charm. And is very fast. It does use maildirs though,
> unlike imap-uw.

I have a successful integration with imap-uw and openssl
uw is picky about the certificate use the following

mkdir /etc/ssl/certs

cd /etc/ssl/certs

openssl req -new -x509 -nodes \
-out imapd.pem -keyout imapd.pem -days 3650

vi /etc/inetd.conf

add the following line
imaps stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/libexec/imapd imapd

*note it cannot be imap it must be imaps

go to uw source directory

cd imapd-2004d
make bsf

cp imapd/imapd /usr/local/libexec/imapd