FreeBSD UFS2 snapshots, and math ...

Doug Poland doug at polands.org
Thu Oct 20 08:50:28 PDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 11:01:42AM -0400, user wrote:

> Finally, are there any snapshot diag tools at all ?  Like, something that
> reports snapshot sizes, percent of disk used for snapshots, and maybe even
> a way for me to actually calculate what the percent change for time period
> X is for a particular filsystem >?

I find sysutils/freebsd-snapshot quite useful, although it doesn't do
everything you're asking for.

Be advised there are issues with snapshots of large filesystems.

  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr-summary.cgi?category=&severity=&priority=&class=&state=&sort=none&text=snapshot&responsible=&multitext=&originator=&release=

My experience shows that multiple snapshots of large filesystems, >30GB,
causes the system to become unresponsive when a snap is created.  If I
limit the snapshot to 1/per large FS, then often the machine hangs on
attempted reboots.

--
Regards,
Doug