lnc0: Start of packet found before end of previous in transmit ring -- Resetting

Can Berk Guder cbguder at su.sabanciuniv.edu
Thu Oct 20 08:34:56 PDT 2005

Hi everyone,

I have an IBM PC Server 325 running FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE. I set this
system up last year, and since the kernel didn't support the Ethernet
card, I had to rebuild the kernel and include the lnc driver. Since
then, everything seemed to be fine.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I had to backup some files from another
server and I transferred a 1.4 GB .tar archive onto my FreeBSD
machine via FTP. But when I needed to retrieve the backup, I received
this message on the console:

lnc0: Start of packet found before end of previous in transmit ring
-- Resetting

and the system hung.

I, unfortunately, had to restart the system manually and tried the
transfer again to no avail. I receive the same message one or two
times, and the system hangs.

I did a lot of searching on Google about the subject but I couldn't
find a specific answer, except one message recommending changing the
ethernet cable and/or the port, which I also tried.

I believe this is some sort of driver problem and I really hope
someone has at least an idea about what is wrong and what I can do to
fix it.

Regards,
--
Can Berk Guder