Pam auth

Steve Bertrand iaccounts at ibctech.ca
Thu Oct 20 08:15:42 PDT 2005

Hello all,

My brother-in-law runs his own business, and his IT guy has recently
left, leaving no passwords or anything. The entire network is a complete
mickey mouse setup which I'm revamping properly for him.

There is a single FBSD 5.2.1 box that I have been working on and the
problem is this:

I can access everything via the root account when in single-user mode,
even change the root password. However, when I reboot and try to get
into normal mode (using root and the pass I just changed it to), I get
pam errors stating incorrect password. I am not at home to get the exact
message.

My question is, is there any way in single user mode to switch
authentication back to the standard master.password file, without having
to try to figure out how to change it elsewhere?

TIA,

Steve