Helix plugin with Firefox

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Thu Oct 20 06:37:44 PDT 2005

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 06:43 pm, Beecher Rintoul wrote:
> I would like to get realplayer working in firefox, but it
> keeps crashing firefox on load. Launching realplay from the
> command line works fine. I have the latest firefox and
> linuxpluginwrapper installed and about:plugins in firefox
> correctly lists the helix plugin. In addition,
> /etc/libmap.conf contains the following:
>
> # Helix RealPlayer with
> Mozilla/Firebird/Galeon/Epiphany/Konqueror
> [/usr/X11R6/lib/linux-mozilla/plugins/nphelix.so]
> libstdc++.so.5			libstdc++.so.5
> libc.so.6			pluginwrapper/realplayer.so

I've just experienced much the same problem in FBSD 5.4
Eventually I discovered:
/usr/ports/www/linuxpluginwrapper/pkg-message
which I assume should have been displayed during installation
but which I didn't see.

Apparently you need to copy or add
/usr/local/share/examples/linuxpluginwrapper/libmap.conf-FreeBSD{whatever}
to /etc/libmap.conf

It worked for me, with mozilla but the doculantation with the
version of linuxpluginwrapper that I have installed saya there
is some further (unsolved) difficulty with firefox.

Malcolm Kay