Weird SSH problem... Any ideas?!?

Olaf Greve o.greve at axis.nl
Thu Oct 20 06:30:25 PDT 2005

Hi,

> Well, it all seems to be a question of granting users access to the
> right file. Have you checked permissions on /etc/passwd and /etc/pwd.db ?

These are both 644, owned by root:wheel.

> These should be world readable while /etc/master.passwd and /etc/spwd.db
> should not.

These are both 600, owned by root:wheel.

Sounds like both have their permissions set-up just fine. Nonetheless I
suspect something went wrong when migrating these files from my previous
FreeBSD 5.2.1-release i386 machine, to my new FreeBSD 5.4-release amd64
machine...
Basically, I just copied those four files (plus the group file) across,
and then rebuild the user's directory of the user that was having the
login issues...

> Non privileged processes access the former to convert UID to user name.

That certainly makes sense. Hmm, I wonder what could be amiss??????

Cheers!
Olafo