Nagios Client on FreeBSD 5.4

Deepak Naidu deepak_nai at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 20 03:57:20 PDT 2005

Thanx again Mike for detail explanation.

Cheers,
Deepak Naidu.

Mike Woods <Mike at the-rubber-chicken-network.co.uk> wrote:
Deepak Naidu wrote:

> If I want to monitor load, disk space, http etc service I have
> install entire nagios package or nagios-statsd, or plugins ?

SMTP, http imap etc can all be monitored over the internet by the nagios
box since the check plugins for those are tcp/ip based, things like disk
space will require the nrpe setup (or one of the equivilent) which only
needs the plugins, I use nagios and nrpe extensivley to monitor our rack
at redbus, network services are just another service definition, checks
for disk access call the nrpe check command on the nagios server which
connects to the nrpe service on the remote machine which in turn runs
the nagios check plugin and returns the results to the nagios server!

Basicly you'll need the nrpe package and the nagios plugins package but
since the nagios plugins are a dependancy of the nrpe port all you'll
need to install yourself is the nrpe package (assuming you're using
ports), you'll also need to install the nrpe package on the linux box in
order to get the check command for nagios!