FreeBSD 5.4 on a Sun Fire v40z

Deepak Naidu deepak_nai at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 20 03:53:18 PDT 2005

I have a running FreeBSD 5.4 installation on SunFire amd 64 v20 dual cpu....  I know its not same, but the scsi disk detected and is performing fine.

Regarding the partition, I have noticed that if you partition /boot on seperate partition then the boot fails(this is comman for any intel or amd make)

can u check dmesg for any errors.

Cheers,
Deepak Naidu.

Matteo Quintiliani <quintiliani at ingv.it> wrote:
Hi,

yesterday I tried to install FreeBSD 5.4-amd64 on a Sun Fire v40z.
Installation works fine, it finds any hardware and I'm able to
configure any setting.

The problem occurs when server is booting. I get a black screen and
the server reboot automatically.
Server has 4 processors AMD Opteron 850 and 2 scsi hard disk 73GB.

I tried to:
- use only a disk, the problem is the same
- install both "Standard boot" and "FreeBSD Boot Manager", the
problem is the same.

I noticed in FDisk that, after the installation, the freebsd slice
lost "bootable" property.

Please, could someone help me?

Thanks in advance,
Matteo

--
Matteo Quintiliani
Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia
e-mail: quintiliani at ingv.it