Weird SSH problem... Any ideas?!?

Erik Norgaard norgaard at math.ku.dk
Thu Oct 20 03:27:23 PDT 2005

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, Olaf Greve wrote:

> Oct 20 11:39:40 milx sshd[48147]: Accepted keyboard-interactive/pam for
> abcdef from 123.45.67.89 port 35335 ssh2
> Oct 20 11:39:40 milx sshd[48150]: fatal: login_get_lastlog: Cannot find
> account for uid 1234

Some things to try, in sshd_config set:

PrintLastLog=no
LogLevel=DEBUG

try toggling with AllowGroups and AllowUsers this is good for
security also as you can deny system users or groups login and
restrict users to login only from specific hosts, see the manpage
for more options.

Also try:

lastlog <user that cannot login>

> -This does not happen when "su -" ing to the user's account from the box
> itself.

Note, there is a differens between su'ing and logging in. Can you
login?

> -This may not happen to users that are allowed to become root (i.e. are in
> the wheel group).

> Possibly it would help to add the user account to the wheel group, but I'm
> reluctant to do so for obvious reasons.

No, you never want to accept such a solution, even if it solves
the problem.

Cheers, Erik