Printing quota ?

Erik Norgaard norgaard at math.ku.dk
Thu Oct 20 01:33:33 PDT 2005

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, Frank Bonnet wrote:

> I'm searching for a free software that perform print accounting
> interface with CUPS welcome.

You are entering into one of the most troublesome things in system
administration. There are two problems:

* Relyably determining who's printing
* Relyably determining the number of pages

I don't know anything about CUPS but I once wrote a script for
LPRng which may be changed to work with CUPS.

LPRng calls the script with user information as command line
options and the document on STDIN. The script determines the user
from the command line option and counts pages in postscript
documents by parsing STDIN.

If the document doesn't look enough like postscript it is
discarded. Windows users have a hard time getting it right.

I can send it to you if you're interested.

Cheers, Erik