FreeBSD 5.4 on a Sun Fire v40z

Matteo Quintiliani quintiliani at ingv.it
Thu Oct 20 01:30:12 PDT 2005

Hi,

yesterday I tried to install FreeBSD 5.4-amd64 on a Sun Fire v40z.
Installation works fine, it finds any hardware and I'm able to
configure any setting.

The problem occurs when server is booting. I get a black screen and
the server reboot automatically.
Server has 4 processors AMD Opteron 850 and 2 scsi hard disk 73GB.

I tried to:
- use only a disk, the problem is the same
- install both "Standard boot" and "FreeBSD Boot Manager", the
problem is the same.

I noticed in FDisk that, after the installation, the freebsd slice
lost "bootable" property.

Please, could someone help me?

Thanks in advance,
Matteo

--
Matteo Quintiliani
Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia
e-mail: quintiliani at ingv.it