dovecot can not find mailbox

Peter A. Giessel peter_giessel at dot.state.ak.us
Wed Oct 19 17:55:45 PDT 2005

On 10/19/2005 16:07, Dave seems to have typed:
> Hello,
>     Ever since updating to the latest dovecot port dovecot has not been able
> to get mail. At first i thought i wasn't getting any then i sent a message
> to myself and never got it. My MTA is delivering it as intended but dovecot
> isn't finding it. I use Maildir formatted boxes and the directory name is
> /home/user/Maildir
> i edited my dovecot.conf file and changed the mail_env option, uncommented
> it and made it %h/%u/Maildir
> and no good. Any suggestions?

I'm assuming that you went from 0.99? to 1.0.  They completely changed
much of the configuration file for that.

(you can check with "dovecot --version")

As the offical page ( http://wiki.dovecot.org/moin.cgi/UpgradingDovecot )
notes, "The configuration file has had a lot of changes, so it's better
to just modify the included dovecot-example.conf file manually." (as
opposed to trying to fix your old configuration file to work with the
new version).

Also you could try to check its log files to see if anything unusual
is showing up there.