How well do USB -> parallel adapters work for printers?

Eric Schuele e.schuele at computer.org
Wed Oct 19 06:49:45 PDT 2005

Bill Moran wrote:
> This will be FreeBSD 5.4 machine.
>
> I need to hook a printer to a server (actually, it's a "plotter", an HP
> inkjet plotter).  The server doesn't have a parallel port, and the printer
> doesn't have a USB port.
>
> The guy who provides our hardware recommended a USB -> parallel adapter,
> but I've got no experience with these.  I've been warned about USB ->
> serial adapaters and how the translation isn't always 100%, so I'm
> trying to gather some information before I go forward with this plan.
>
> Anyone use one of these?  How well do they work in general?  How well
> do they work under FreeBSD?

There are definitely 'some issues' with USB -> Parallel port adapters.
I've had good luck printing, but obviously others have had plenty of bad
luck.  And they (the adapters) definitely have difficulties with other
parallel devices (think security dongles, data acquisition, etc).

I believe there are some PCMCIA -> parallel adapters that should work
better.  Though they are a bit pricey.

--
Regards,
Eric