'spin lock sched lock held' panic in 5.4-RELEASE-p8

Toomas Aas toomas.aas at raad.tartu.ee
Wed Oct 19 02:55:18 PDT 2005

Hello!

Last night I upgraded our web server from RELENG_5_3 to RELENG_5_4. With
RELENG_5_3 the machine had been quite stable. There was one kernel panic
back in February, but other than that, no problems.

Today during peak hours the server panicked. This panic is different
from the one back in February. Unfortunately I don't have the debugging
kernel, but I followed the first quick steps in FAQ 18.14 to see what
the instruction pointer points at. Maybe someone has some general ideas
on what the problem might be. If not, I'll build the debugging kernel
and enable crash dumps to get better diagnostics.

Here's the panic message:
kernel trap 12 with interrupts disabled
fault virtual address: 0x24
fault code = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer = 0x8:0xc0525e5e
stack pointer = 0x10:0xe8418bb8
frame pointer = 0x10: 0xe8418be0
code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
              = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags = resume, iopl = 0
current process = 521 (java)
trap number = 12
panic: page fault
cpuid = 1
spin lock sched lock held by 0xc279a480 for >5 seconds

~> nm -n /boot/kernel/kernel | grep c0525
c0525014 t taskqueue_define_swi
c0525081 t taskqueue_define_swi_giant
c05250ee t taskqueue_define_thread
c0525153 T taskqueue_enqueue_fast
c052529a t taskqueue_run_fast
c05253dd t taskqueue_fast_schedule
c05253fa t taskqueue_fast_run
c052540f t taskqueue_define_fast
c0525594 T userret
c0525741 T ast
c0525ddc t propagate_priority

I disabled debug.mpsafenet and debug.mpsafevm, without really having an
idea whether it might help.

The machine is IBM eServer xSeries 225, dual P4 Xeon 2 GHz CPUs, 1.5 GB
RAM, 2x36 GB mirrored disks on LSI1030 (mpt) controller and integrated
Broadcom gigabit ethernet (bge).
dmesg is at: http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/dmesg.boot
kernel config at: http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/kernelconfig.txt

--