Imap-uw and openssl certificate

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Wed Oct 19 02:03:57 PDT 2005

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 03:49:15PM +0700, Olivier Nicole wrote:
> > Common Name (FQDN of your server) []: fstaals.net
>
> The first answer that come to my mind is that your IMAP{ server is
> certainly NOT called "fstaals.net", but it should rather be
> "imap.fstaals.net" or "mail.fstaals.net" or something.

Don't be so certain about that.  "fstaals.net" *is* a valid hostname,
and its IP-address can easily be found via DNS, and it can be connected to.

It is often considered bad practice to have hostnames of that kind, but it
is quite possible to do it.

> You must put the exact name of your server, as it is known by DNS and
> reverse DNS.

He probably did exactly that.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>