Contact Management Software

Murray Taylor MTaylor at bytecraft.com.au
Wed Oct 19 01:33:05 PDT 2005

No problemo ...

Its not uncommon for ports to be behind as they are maintained by
someone who may not necessarily be on the actual developer
team, but is just a user who has found the app, liked it,
and (hopefully with the nod from the original developers)
rolled it into a port. Keeping it up to date is a task that
then must be done by this maintainer in their spare time.

The benefit is that usually the port has actually been tested
on FreeBSd and appropriate patches built into the port.
For some apps, no patches are necessary and you can go straight to
the master site for the most current version.
Others may be targetted at other platforms / libraries etc
and require the patch, so going to the master site wont work
without you personally figuring out the patch. (looking
at the make file for the ported version may help here)

cheers
mjt