one way network issue

Mohan Singh mohansingh68 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 15:47:48 PDT 2005

I recently upgraded a FreeBSD box from 4.10 to 4.11 (nuke and install method).

The settings in /etc are identical to the way it was (I went over it
with "vim -d" to double check).

Externally (router/firewall, etc.), nothing has changed.

But on the new install of the machine, I cannot ping or access it from
a different subnet.

There is no firewall enable anywhere, and like I said, externally,
nothing has changed in terms of routing or anything like that.

What could be the matter?

I can get on from a different subnet by ssh'ing into a machine on the
same subnet of the upgraded box and then ssh'ing into the same box,
but I'd like to figure out what is the problem.