Is dump different?

vittorio vdemart1 at tin.it
Tue Oct 18 10:55:10 PDT 2005

I have a new desktop with netbsd 2.0.2 and a portable with freebsd 5.4 (my pet
OS but it didn't boot on the compaq evo 510 box; therefore netbsd!).
Now, I had dumped my previous old desktop with **** freebsd 5.4 **** to a
samba share and then tried to restore some files interactively with "restore
-i -f mydumfile" ont the new box  but restore (under netbsd) complained that
there was no root directory and i couldn't restore anything (e.g. ls didn't
show anything).
My question is:
the dump programs in netbsd & in freebsd are different in some way, I mean
structurally different therefore somewhat incompatible in the two OSs?

Ciao
Vittorio