Spash screen will not come up

Daniel Rudy dr2867 at pacbell.net
Tue Oct 18 10:40:26 PDT 2005

Hello,

I'm running FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE.  The problem that I have is that the
splash screen will not come up.  I have made sure that the bmp is 256
colors.  I have tried uncompressed and RLE compressed bmps.  The RLE
compressed versions worked in 4.x.  I have also added the approperiate
lines to /boot/loader.conf.  It seems that ever since I upgraded to 5.x,
I have not been able to get a splash screen.  Upon further examination,
I see this in the dmsg when the system boots:

module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (splash_bmp, 0xc06e4810, 0) error 2

Any ideas as to why I am getting this error?

/boot/loader.conf:
strata:/home/dr2867 1026 $$$ ->more /boot/loader.conf
# Verbose output from loader
# verbose_loading="YES"         # Set to YES for verbose loader output

# Show Splash Graphic
splash_bmp_load="YES"           # Set this to YES for bmp splash screen!
bmp_load="YES"                  # Load bitmap
bitmap_name="/boot/splash.bmp"  # Set this to the name of the bmp or pcx
file

# Boot Menus and Delay
autoboot_delay="5"              # Delay in seconds before autobooting
beastie_disable="NO"            # Turn the beastie boot menu on and off

# Panic crashdumps go here
dumpdev="ad0s1b"                # Set swap device for crash dumps

--
Daniel Rudy