GIANT lock in 5.4

Toomas Aas toomas.aas at raad.tartu.ee
Mon Oct 17 11:29:01 PDT 2005

Hello!

I'm in a process of upgrading our FreeBSD 5.3 servers to 5.4. Two done,
one to go. I noticed that the Giant lock is no longer mentioned in dmesg
during boot. With FreeBSD 5.3, several devices (for example: ips, ahc,
atkbd) had a note similar to this in dmesg:

ips0: <IBM ServeRAID Adapter> port 0x2000-0x20ff mem
	0xfeb00000-0xfebfffff irq 9 at device 1.0 on pci0
ips0: [GIANT-LOCKED]

With FreeBSD 5.4, the [GIANT-LOCKED] message no longer appears.

Does that mean that Giant lock has been removed from all those drivers,
or is the message simply not printed?

---
... You have, of course, just begun reading the sentence that you have
just finished reading.