Making FreeBSD 5.4-Release to FreeBSD 5.4-stable

Andrew P. infofarmer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 10:19:36 PDT 2005

On 10/17/05, Deepak Naidu <deepak_nai at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have been to the below link
>
> ftp://snapshots.jp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386/
>
> I cant understand that should I just copy and them in my FreeBSD 5.4 or waht to do..
> I have also been in http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-edge.html
>
> even then I cant understand, should I use cvsup with that relaseor stable tag, there after should I recompile my kernel or rebuild, thats the reason Iam asking, ist not that I am not taking effort but its not put in easy way...
>
> If you can help me that would be nice, else no worries :)
>

>From the box you want to upgrade:

# cd /usr/ports/net/cvsup-without-gui && make install
# cp /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile /root/mycvs

Now edit /root/mycvs and set CHANGE_THIS.FreeBSD.org
to one of the sites from here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html

# cvsup -g -L 2 /root/mycvs

Go get a cup of coffee. If there are no errors, continue

# cd /usr/src
# make -j4 buildworld
# make buildkernel
# make installkernel
# make installworld
# mergemaster

Here you must read mergemaster carefully

# shutdown -r now

That's oversimplified, but that's it.