Can't see FreeBSD machine in Mac's Finder

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Mon Oct 17 09:04:01 PDT 2005

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 09:54:15AM -0500, Charles Howse wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I have a PowerMac G5, named "larry", which the 'Sharing' tab in System
> Preferences tells me that other machines on the network can access as
> 'larry.local'.
>
> I have a FreeBSD 4.11 machine on the same subnet, named "moe" (no
> domain name), with NFS enabled.
>
> I can connect to the FreeBSD machine's share by using "Connect to
> Server" in OS X, but the machine doesn't show up in the Network pane
> of Finder.
>
> Can anyone point me to some resources where I can find a resolution to
> this?  --

I think others are pointing you in the wrong direction. MacOS uses
Bonjour to discover local net resources. Believe this may have been
previously called Rendezvous.
http://developer.apple.com/networking/bonjour/

net/howl and net/mDNSResponder mention Bonjour specifically.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net