Changing the region code of DVD-Drive

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Mon Oct 17 01:19:58 PDT 2005

"Alastair G. Hogge" <agh at tpg.com.au> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 07:33, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> >      I don't think that region coding really matters for Unix. But,
> > just try mplayer since from what I remember it didn't require region
> > coding at all in order to play DVDs in Linux/*BSD.

> Aren't DVD players(the hardware) region restricted thou? Does mplayer
> get around that?

The firmware restriction only works in combination with the software.

If you are making a DVD player and want a license to descramble CSS,
you have to sign that you also implement the user restrictions.

If you descramble CSS without license (like mplayer does),
you don't have to.

Fabian
--
http://www.fabiankeil.de/