Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop v 2.10 (mouse not being detected)

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Sun Oct 16 18:22:10 PDT 2005

--On October 16, 2005 5:06:37 PM -0500 Alejandro Valenzuela Roca
<lanjoe9 at prodigy.net.mx> wrote:

> Hello, I just purchased a "Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop" this
> morning and I'm regretting I did.
>
> Here's my dmesg:
>
> ukbd0: Microsft Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop® 2.10, rev 2.00/0.38,
> addr 2, iclass 3/1
> kbd1 at ukbd0
> uhid0: Microsft Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop® 2.10, rev 2.00/0.38,
> addr 2, iclass 3/1
>
> As you can see, I connected the wireless receiver to an usb port. The
> keyboard works correctly but the mouse is never discovered...
>
> The computer I've got right now has only USB ports. Tomorrow I'll be
> able to test it when connected via PS/2, and I'll write back.
>
> Do you have any suggestions on what I might try to make the wireless
> mouse work?

I'm using a USB Natural Keyboard and a Wireless Optical Mouse, and it's
working fine.

Here's the mouse section of my xorg.conf file:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
        Option      "Buttons" "8"
        Option      "XAxisMapping" "6 7"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Resolution"  "800"
        Option      "Vendor" "Logitech"
EndSection

You can use usbdevs (8) to see what devices are connected to your system.

usbdevs
addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
 addr 2: USB Receiver, Logitech
addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
 addr 2: product 0xa700, Standard Microsystems
  addr 3: Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite, Microsoft
addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel

The USB Receiver, Logitech, is my mouse.

You should also be able to see the mouse being detected by opening a
terminal window, disconnecting the mouse and then reconnecting it.  It
should show up in the terminal window.

This is the part of dmesg that shows my mouse and keyboard:

ums0: Logitech USB Receiver, rev 1.10/29.01, addr 2, iclass 3/1
ums0: 7 buttons and Z dir.
uhub4: Standard Microsystems product 0xa700, class 9/0, rev 2.00/0.00, addr
2
ukbd0: Microsoft Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite, rev 2.00/2.07, addr 3,
iclass 3/1
kbd1 at ukbd0

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer