Remote Console

Frank Knobbe frank at knobbe.us
Sun Oct 16 17:43:27 PDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-16 at 16:44 +0400, Andrew P. wrote:
> I would not support your chaining idea, though.[...]
>
> The matter is, that you'll want 9600 bps speeds
> for max compatibility. While it is usable for
> occasional failure recovery, chaining it would
> make it lag too much.

Well, chaining is such a strong word. How about "connecting the serial
ports in a ring"? The thing is that he only jumps from one box to the
other, not through more/all of them.

I actually prefer this solution over a portmaster, unless it supports
SSH. I would hate to telnet with a clear-text password across the
Internet. SSH'ing into a live system, and them calling upon the other
system via serial port seems like a good solution to me.

Cheers,
Frank