portupgrade: what must I fix in this pkgtools.conf entry?

James Long list at museum.rain.com
Sun Oct 16 10:47:41 PDT 2005

I've been aware of pkgtools.conf but hadn't buckled down to suss out the syntax
prior to recently.  Thanks to Dru Lavigne's excellent article at onlamp.com, I'm
working on my first attempt at setting make variables in pkgtools.conf.

First, is there something I've specified incorrectly in my pkgtools.conf (below)?
More generally, I haven't found anything in the portupgrade man page that would
describe a switch that would cause portupgrade to output an indication of what
configuration information it might have parsed from pkgtools.conf, that would
help me figure out (sooner in the build process) whether portupgrade is parsing
my pkgtools.conf successfully.  Is there some way to make portupgrade be verbose
about what actions it is taking based on pkgtools.conf directives?

Here is the MAKE_ARGS section of /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf:

  MAKE_ARGS = {
    'graphics/ImageMagick-*' => 'WITHOUT_IMAGEMAGICK_TTF=1 WITHOUT_IMAGEMAGICK_PDF=1 WITHOUT_X11=1 WITHOUT_IMAGEMAGICK_PERL=1',
  }

According to my reading of the Makefile, eliminating TTF and PDF support ought to
be sufficient to eliminate the need for ghostscript, but still, "portupgrade -N
ImageMagick" wants to build ghostscript-gnu-7.07_13 as a dependency.

ns : 22:41:38 /root# ls -l /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf
-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  13872 Oct 15 21:42 /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf

ns : 22:41:45 /root# grep -1 Magick /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf
  MAKE_ARGS = {
    'graphics/ImageMagick-*' => 'WITHOUT_IMAGEMAGICK_TTF=1 WITHOUT_IMAGEMAGICK_PDF=1 WITHOUT_X11=1 WITHOUT_IMAGEMAGICK_PERL=1',
  }

Everything else in pkgtools.conf is stock:

ns : 22:47:01 /root# diff /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf.sample /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf
310a311
>     'graphics/ImageMagick-*' => 'WITHOUT_IMAGEMAGICK_TTF=1 WITHOUT_IMAGEMAGICK_PDF=1 WITHOUT_X11=1 WITHOUT_IMAGEMAGICK_PERL=1',

After completing a CVS update of my ports tree at 23:08 PDT 10/15/05,
portupgrade shows all the rest of my ports are up to date.

All of this is on 5.4-STABLE circa 10/1/05.