Remote Console

Grant Peel gpeel at thenetnow.com
Sun Oct 16 05:16:57 PDT 2005

Thanks Andrew,

So If I understand your reply, a setup like this should always give me
access to any of the servers by SSHing to one server, then CUing to get to
the console of the 'broken' one, regardless of its state (assuming the disks
are OK, and boot stage 1 worked):

(WAN Shown, LAN Same, using seperate nics on Servers and Switch)

                                  ISP's router

                                    My Switch
|                  |                    |                   |

Serv1            Serv2                Serv3               Serv4
Serv5

Serial1--------->Serial2
                 Serial1------------->Serial2
                                      Serial1------------>Serial2
                                                          Serial1---------->Serial2

Can more than 1 console access type be specified in loader.conf ?
    i.e.
        console='serialconsole'
        console='videoconsole'

When using 'serial console, does anything have to be specified to use serial
2?

What is the default local console, how is it specified?
    i.e. the one you use when you plug a keyboard and monitor directly into
the machine?

Would I need to install any other software other than the client (CU)?

-GRant