root mail is pointing to one user account..?(sendmail)

perikillo perikillo at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 03:09:19 PDT 2005

  Hi people.
  Freebsd 5.4-p8
  tag RELENG_5_4

    I need some help, the problem is that for some reason that i still
dont know, my root mail account is pointing to another user, is to
wear, that i really dont know how this happend, i check the /etc/mail/
files and dosnt see any thing wrong, i have 2 user working, root and
another call klabaza(wheel group), to access the system i use klabaza
and them su to get root account.
    Today i made the buildworld process, after everything was complete
without any problems, i see one message on my /var/log/maillog saying
that my aliases.db was out of day the i run the newaliases program but
give some errors because i was having the mount point / ro(read only)
them i change /  to rw, and again execute the program newaliases, and
everything was good, before this, root could send mail, after i run
newaliases, change some files propierties because this machine is one
firewall, i execute the command mail and appear this message:
samantha#mail
/var/mail/klabaza

   Is the inbox of the other user, them i check my .cshrc file:

alias h         history 25
alias j         jobs -l
alias la        ls -a
alias lf        ls -FA
alias ll        ls -lA
alias lo        ll -o
alias cls       clear
alias apagar    shutdown -r now

# A righteous umask
umask 22

set path = (/sbin /bin /usr/sbin /usr/bin /usr/games /usr/local/sbin
/usr/local/bin /usr/X11R6/bin $HOME/bin)

setenv  EDITOR  ee
setenv  PAGER   less
setenv  BLOCKSIZE       K
setenv  CLICOLOR

if ($?prompt) then
        # An interactive shell -- set some stuff up
        set prompt = "`/bin/hostname -s`# "
        set filec
        set history = 100
        set savehist = 100
        set mail = (/var/mail/$USER)
        if ( $?tcsh ) then
                bindkey "^W" backward-delete-word
                bindkey -k up history-search-backward
                bindkey -k down history-search-forward
        endif
endif

Them i check my vars with set command and found this:

samantha# set
addsuffix
argv    ()
cwd     /root
dirstack        /root
echo_style      bsd
edit
filec
gid     0
group   klabaza
history 100
home    /root
killring        30
mail    /var/mail/klabaza
owd     /home/klabaza
path    (/sbin /bin /usr/sbin /usr/bin /usr/games /usr/local/sbin
/usr/local/bin /usr/X11R6/bin /root/bin)
prompt  samantha#
prompt2 %R?
prompt3 CORRECT>%R (y|n|e|a)?
savehist        100
shell   /bin/csh
shlvl   2
status  0
tcsh    6.13.00
term    xterm
tty     ttyp0
uid     0
user    klabaza
version tcsh 6.13.00 (Astron) 2004-05-19 (i386-intel-FreeBSD) options
8b,nls,dl,al,kan,sm,rh,color,dspm,filec

There i found that mail is pointing to the other user...why..?, Ok, if
i echo $USER with the root shell appear this:
samantha#echo $USER
klabaza

  I think this is normal because i am using su to get root access, i
amd right...?

  ok, them i decide to change my .cshrc file and change manually mail
and MAIL var, ok this fix the set problem, but not my problem, because
even if now i exec the mail command, and send some mail with root
account, look this header: