portupgrade -ar (why?)

Andrew P. infofarmer at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 18:16:45 PDT 2005

On 10/16/05, Peter Matulis <petermatulis at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> --- Petersen <petersen at petersen.plus.com> wrote:
>
> > Uninstalled dependancies of an installed port are irrelevant in
> > any portupgrade case, as the port will automatically pull them in
> as
> > part of its compilation.
>
> What if a port now has a new dependency?
>
> But back to 'r',
>
> My system shows this:

> $ pkg_info -xR openldap
> Information for openldap-client-2.2.29:
>
> Required by:
> bluefish-1.0.4
> dirmngr-0.9.2
> gnome-menus-2.10.2_1
> gnomevfs2-2.10.1_1
> gnupg-devel-1.9.19
> gtksourceview-1.2.1
> libbonoboui-2.10.1
> libgnomeui-2.10.1_1
> rox-2.3
> samba-libsmbclient-3.0.20_2
>
> Just to be clear on this, if I do...
>
> # portupgrade -r openldap-client
>
> ...all those listed ports will be recompiled whether they need to be
> or not?  That seems mighty inefficient.

No, they won't. Honestly guys, what is this thread about?
You're not gonna make portupgrade work any faster or
smoother if you weed out a couple of switches from the
command-line. I don't mean to bother anyone if you're
having fun, but it just seems that portupgrade's manpage
covers it all. If you're not sure - just try it. If something's
strange - see if it's a bug, and if you're sure it is - send-pr.

chat@ is the right place for topics like this one..

Cheerz,
Andrew P.