portupgrade stale dependencies

John DeStefano john.destefano at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 17:46:41 PDT 2005

I'm trying to use portupgrade to update my installed ports. I ran into
trouble with dependencies with ImageMagick and xorg-libraries, and I then
followed the suggestion in UPDATING to delete XFree86 the imake-4 packages,
and install the full xorg port.

After all that, I got more dependency errors:
'Stale dependency: aalib-1.4.r5_1 --> imake-4.3.0_1 -- manually run 'pkgdb
-F' to fix, or specify -O to force.'

'pkgdb -O' returned an invalid option error, and 'pkgdb -o aalib-1.4.r5_1'
returned 'graphics/aalib'. I then ran 'pkgdb -F' to try and fix this (and
many, many other) stale dependencies, but the error I got when trying to run
portupgrade afterward simply changed the stale dependency error to '
aalib-1.4.r5_1 --> XFree86-libraries-4.3.0_6'.

How does one get around these dependency errors without destroying a system?
Any good resources on dealing with this? I keep reading that I should just
run 'pkgdb -F' but that only gets one so far.

Thanks,
~John