interesting past 4 hours...

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Sat Oct 15 13:42:12 PDT 2005

On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 09:51:44AM +0100, Glyn Millington wrote:
> Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org> writes:
>
> > 	I'll give xfce a try.  Again.  I  played with it months ago
> > 	but gave up on it after a few days.  Can I run all KDE-ware
> > 	and Gnome suites too?
>
> Hi Gary,
>
> I'm running Xfce4 over here on Slackware, and there are no problems
> firing up KDE apps as needed.
>
> A neat thing if you have python aboard is the MenuMaker script
>
> http://menumaker.sourceforge.net/
>
> ,----
> | MenuMaker is utility written entirely in Python that scans through the
> | system for installed programs and generates menu for specified X window
> | manager. It is by far more superior to existing solutions in terms of
> | knowledge base size, maintainability and extensibility, and has a number
> | of features that have no counterparts in its class. MenuMaker is intended
> | for users of lightweight *NIX graphical desktop environments.
> `----
>
> But it will scoop up all your KDE and Gnome apps too :-)  It certainly
> beats churning out menus by hand!  It works with Fluxbox, openbox, Icewm,
> Windowmaker, Xfce and Xfce4...

	Thanks for the tip. This sounds worth checking into.  Be nice '
	if I can tell menumaker to include things like rclock and asam;
	and whatever generic, non-wm-specific apps too.

	Ok, from the online docs, it looks like this script works best
	with xfce4.

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix